The Family Caregiver Alliance is a community partner of Avenidas. We often refer our clients to their comprehensive on-line educational articles. The following articles are specifically designed for family caregivers in need of information for introducing home care, navigating hospital discharge protocols, organizing legal documents and understanding legal issues in general, understanding dementia behaviors and coping with the emotional stress of caregiving. We have also included articles relevant to LGBTQ caregivers.
However, there are many factors unique to each family caregiver’s situation. Please call my office at 1 (650) 289-5438 if you need an elder care consult and referrals to local resources in the South Bay.Paula Wolfson, LCSW, Manager, Avenidas Care Partners
Recommended FCA Articles
- Where to Find My Important Papers: Organizing Legal Documents
- Hospital Discharge Planning:A Guide for Families and Caregivers
- Introducing In-Home Care When Your Loved One Says “No”
- Emotional Side of Caregiving, by Donna Schempp, LCSW.
- Caregiver’s Guide to Understanding Dementia Behaviors, FCA, Reviewed by Beth Logan
- Dementia, Caregiving and Controlling Frustration, FCA
- Caring for Someone with Incontinence: Emotional and Social Issues
- LGBT Caregiving: Frequently Asked Questions, Family Caregiver Alliance, reviewed by Helene V. Wenzel
- Legal Issues for LBGT Caregivers – I advise everyone read this no matter your gender identity.
Actually, this is the best article I have read on clarifying the use of these legal documents and why it is important for everyone to proactively complete these forms. This is especially true for marginalized communities who may have legal rights but experience discrimination or interpersonal family conflicts over 1) who is the legal decision-maker for health care and end of life treatment options, 2) who has access to financial resources, medical records and health care information, 3) who controls visitation rights 4) who signs contracts especially for relocation to assisted and memory care units.Paula Wolfson, LCSW, Manager, Avenidas Care Partners