People of all ages have re-engaged in the community by volunteering through Avenidas. Volunteering feels great and is good for your health, too! Over 450 people volunteer their time, money or talent each year, and Avenidas values the input, productivity, time and energy of all our volunteers. Volunteering opportunities are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
“I tutor as part of Avenidas’ Early Literacy Program and I feel such a sense of purpose being able to help young kids become readers,” states one enthusiastic volunteer!
Avenidas works to match your interests with one of our volunteer opportunities such as:
- Giving rides to seniors (email Trina Glanville or call her at (650) 289-5453). View our Volunteer Driver Application.
- Tutoring children in our Early Literacy Program (email Michael Kass or call him at (650) 289-5419).
- Working with frail elderly adults at our day health center in Mountain View –crafts, socializing, gardening, reading aloud and more! (email Loretta Austin or call her at (650) 289-5491). View our Rose Kleiner Volunteer Application.
- Teaching PC, Mac, gadgets or social media classes.
- Administrative help and more!
Avenidas Volunteer Program
Attn: Jyllian Halliburton
Volunteer Program Manager
4000 Middlefield Rd, Building i-2
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Avenidas Blooms Spreads Good Cheer
Every Wednesday, eager volunteers gather at Avenidas@Cubberley to take donated loose flowers and transform then into elegant, individual bouquets, that are then delivered to various seniors in the community. The smiles spread from the volunteers to the end recipients. This is the beauty of Avenidas Blooms, the newest Avenidas program. It utilizes community resources – the flowers from local floral shops, vases donated by the public, time and talent provided by kind-hearted volunteers – to spread good cheer to folks who could use a boost.
When the bouquets were delivered to the Avenidas Rose Kleiner Center in Mountain View recently, staff reported that “The participants oohed and ahhed and took quite a bit of time selecting the exact bouquet they wanted to take home. One fellow asked us why they were being so spoiled, and another participant said “I put these flowers in my room and they made me so happy.”
For more info on how to volunteer or donate to Avenidas Blooms, call
(650) 289-5412 or firstname.lastname@example.org.