Avenidas has released an updated report on older adults in its service area of Palo Alto and six adjacent communities. The CASOATM (Community Assessment Survey of Older Adults) was conducted and reported by Polco, formerly the National Research Center (NRC).
As the population of older adults increases to unprecedented numbers, local government decision-makers face new challenges. The survey helps Avenidas and others with planning, resource development, advocacy efforts, and stakeholder engagement. The ultimate goal of the assessment is to create empowered communities that support vibrant older adult populations.
The areas in which the region ratings were lower than benchmark comparisons were:
- Cost of living in your community
- Availability of affordable quality housing
- Variety of housing options
The areas in which the region rating was higher than benchmark comparisons were:
- Overall economic health of your community
- Overall health and wellness opportunities in your community
- Overall opportunities for education, culture, and the arts
- How would you rate the overall services provided to older adults in your community?
- Ease of travel by car in your community
- Ease of bicycling in your community
- Opportunities to build work skills
- Availability of information about resources for older adults
- Availability of financial or legal planning services
- Availability of preventive health services (e.g., health screenings, flu shots, educational workshops)
- Opportunities to enroll in skill-building or personal enrichment classes
Read the Complete Report
Click the image to open the PDF. This is a 15 MB file and may be slow to download on mobile devices.