Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Home Care Agency
When you talk to an agency representative be sure to ask questions about their caregivers, the agency, billing procedures, and your rights as their client. The following list of question is not exhaustive. This list is designed to help you decide which agency best suits your needs.
- How do you select caregivers? What is their training?
- Do you perform background & criminal record checks on caregivers?
- Are your caregivers bonded, insured, and covered by Workers’ Compensation?
- How do you match a caregiver to a client?
- Does an agency employee perform a client needs assessment? If so, is this employee a nurse, and is there a charge for this service?
- How often are clients’ needs re-assessed, and what is the charge?
- Will the same caregiver come for each visit?
- Will you provide references from current and past clients?
- Does a nurse supervise the caregiver?
- What is the policy regarding a caregiver’s absence?
- What services can and cannot be provided?
- Can I reach someone in your agency anytime including weekends, evenings, and Holidays?
- What type of liability insurance do you carry and what does it cover?
- What is your billing policy?
- What is your minimum number of required caregiver service hours per day or per week?
- Are there any additional charges for which I am responsible, such as taxes or travel?
Client Responsibilities and Rights:
- What is the procedure to follow if I am not satisfied with my caregiver?
- Do you have written information regarding my rights?
- Do you provide an agreement outlining exactly what services will be provided and when?
Home Care Agencies—Private Pay*
Home Instead Senior Care
Home Care Assistance
Home Care California
Institute on Aging
24 HOUR Home Care
Honor Home Care
Sage Elder Care Solutions
Seniors at Home
*Considered by Medicare as non-skilled services. These services are not paid for by health insurance. Some may accept long-term care insurance. Contact agencies for more details.
This list is NOT an endorsement but is provided only for informational purposes only. Go to agencies website for more information.