New year, new resolution! In 2020, why not add a preparedness plan to your resolution list? FEMA asked the public about preparedness actions in the 2018 National Household Survey (NHS). Of the six actions listed below, nearly all respondents (94%) took at least one, but only 56% took three or more actions.
Basic preparedness actions included in the survey were:
- Attending a preparedness meeting or training
- Talking to others about preparedness
- Developing an emergency plan – https://www.ready.gov/plan
- Seeking information https://www.ready.gov/
- Stocking supplies to last 3+ days https://www.ready.gov/kit
- Taking part in a drill
Stocking supplies to last at least three days was the most common preparedness action, with about 81% of people doing so. Consider picking up a few extra items at the store to make sure your household is prepared in 2020!
(Source: FEMA and Palo Alto Emergency Services Volunteers)