Want to change a life? Apply here.
Since 1969, Avenidas has been providing community-building services and activities for older adults and their caregivers. Serving more than 7,500 participants and clients annually, our compassionate staff delivers innovative programs and personal connection. We operate both the Senior Center of Palo Alto and the Avenidas Rose Kleiner Senior Day Health Center, located in Mountain View. And while our in-person reach is concentrated regionally throughout Northern Santa Clara and Southern San Mateo counties, our ‘without walls’ offerings (phone consultations, distance learning, on-line community, etc.) and staff commitment know no bounds.
We invite you to explore opportunities with Avenidas and learn how we can work together to make life better for seniors and their caregivers.
Current Career Opportunities
Why just have a job when you can pursue work with purpose that makes a difference?
Avenidas is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. Interested parties, please send resume and cover letter or inquiries (principals only) to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use our application.
Avenidas Job Opportunities
Location: 450 Bryant St.
Reports to: Director of Community Engagement
The Avenidas Transportation Coordinator position is a part time (20-25 hour/week, M-F) position which oversees the daily operations of the Avenidas Door to Door Transportation Program; this is an afternoon job-share position, working with the morning Avenidas Transportation Coordinator to provide schedule coverage for the program. This position is non-exempt but enjoys access to medical, paid time off and retirement benefits. Duties include:
The Avenidas Door to Door Transportation Program
- Train and supervise volunteer staff of 14 drivers and one paid Avenidas staff driver
- Work with morning Transportation Coordinator on scheduling of rides and client and driver needs; prepare and communicate monthly and daily calendars to drivers
- Schedule rideshare rides using Lyft Concierge business scheduling tool
- Drive for program as needed for specially funded programs for Stanford
- Prepare & maintain monthly invoices, payments and volunteer hour statistics
- Drivers – maintain all applicable records in compliance with required regulatory agencies: DMV, insurance carriers and other mandated organizations. Coordinate AARP/CHP trainings, hold annual meetings, solicit feedback for improvements and client issues
- Clients – ensure all records are maintained, conduct satisfaction surveys, cross market other Avenidas programs to ensure client’s other needs are met to remain safely in their homes
- Work internally with Rose Kleiner Activity Director & Avenidas Social Worker to meet needs of aging/declining clients
- Work with outside partners such as Lyft, Community Services Agency, the Palo Alto Jewish Community Center and Stanford: conduct ongoing meetings and communications to improve partnerships and rides
- Provide monthly and annual statistics for internal and external purposes
- Work with Marketing on PR to attract new drivers and clients
- Assist in other related duties and responsibilities as required
Public/Private Transportation Information and Resources
- Maintain current public & private transportation information on local city, county and private transportation providers
- Coordinate workshops for seniors to learn about options/alternatives to driving
- Work with the City of Palo Alto and other cities on the Peninsula by attending meetings that pertain to ride coverage for clients, public transportation information
- Work with and/or mentor other transportation non-profits and cities to provide coverage to senior populations throughout the peninsula
- Attend transportation committee meetings for Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
- Provide community outreach and volunteer recruitment at transportation related events
- Facilitate new relationships with JCC, CSA and Lyft; building partnerships while enhancing services
Because this is a job-share position, flexibility to cover for the 2nd Avenidas Transportation Coordinator is a requirement of this position. Due to the nature of the program requiring constant oversight, coordination between the two positions is necessary, the flexibility to cover for one another is a must.
Outstanding representation of the Agency and customer service excellence is job #1. Ability to maintain a friendly, positive demeaner at all times. Flexible team player with ability to multi-task despite continual interruptions. Strong communication skills with both internal and external customers, with an emphasis on empathy for older adults. High level of accuracy with scheduling and tracking rides, database entry and general program reporting. As some driving is required, must have own automobile, insurance and clean driving record. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. Fluency in other languages a plus.
At least five years’ experience in program management or customer service. Previous experience working in a social services/non-profit environment preferred, with an interest in transportation needs for older adults. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, a collaborative work style, strong business skills and an ease with public speaking.
Rose Kleiner Job Opportunities
Substitute Program Aide - On Call
Location: Rose Kleiner Adult Day Health Center, Mountain View, CA
Reports to: Activity Coordinator, Rose Kleiner Center
Provide general supervision and assistance to participants in classes and activities at the Center. This is a part-time, hourly, non-exempt, non-benefited position. The schedule is on an “as-needed” basis. Center hours are M-F, 9am-2:30pm.
- Meet and greet participants and assist them upon arrival; help participants to tables, serve beverages/food, and clear tables (for morning social and lunch times).
- Set up rooms for the scheduled classes and activities.
- Supervise the participants in classes, activities, and social time to insure the participants’ safety, proper care, and comfort.
- Perform as a “spotter” for activities, including daily charting participation and level of interest.
- Provide personal care to the participants, including toileting as needed.
- Move tables and chairs as needed.
- Cooperate with staff and volunteers to implement daily activities plan.
- Stand for 95% of the workday while performing all of the above responsibilities.
- Spend work time, as required, learning about working with the elderly and the medical conditions of the participants.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and in-services.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- CNA strongly desired; CNA applicants need an active Nursing Aide Certification for California.
- Ability to work with seniors in a demonstrated friendly and caring manner.
- Ability to provide assistance in a culturally sensitive and respectful manner.
- Experience with and knowledge of older adult and dependent care issues.
- Desire to learn more about caring for this population.
- Initiative, common sense, friendly nature, and ability to work as a member of the team.
- Bilingual ability (Spanish or Mandarin) preferred, but not required
- This role requires substantive interaction with participants and a high level of tact and judgment in caring for higher-care participants.
If you desire a position where you have positive impact on the lives of others, we’re where you want to be! Interested parties shall contact the Center at email@example.com or (650) 289-5491. Position open until filled.