Want to change a life? Apply here.
Since 1969, Avenidas has been providing community-building services and activities for older adults and their caregivers. Serving more than 7,500 participants and clients annually, our compassionate staff delivers innovative programs and personal connection. We operate both the Senior Center of Palo Alto and the Avenidas Rose Kleiner Senior Day Health Center, located in Mountain View. And while our in-person reach is concentrated regionally throughout Northern Santa Clara and Southern San Mateo counties, our ‘without walls’ offerings (phone consultations, distance learning, on-line community, etc.) and staff commitment know no bounds.
We invite you to explore opportunities with Avenidas and learn how we can work together to make life better for seniors and their caregivers.
Current Career Opportunities
Why just have a job when you can pursue work with purpose that makes a difference?
Avenidas is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. Interested parties, please send resume and cover letter or inquiries (principals only) to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use our application.
Location: 450 Bryant St., Palo Alto, CA
Reports to: Center Director
Assists in the daily operations of the front desk and in coordinating lifelong learning and wellness programming. Duties include course registrations, membership registrations, and wellness appointments in Active Net database; professional communication with wellness providers and teachers; two-way communication with participants for information and referrals, setting up and maintaining classes, events, and services in Active Net database, entering data for reporting purposes into Active Net database, and maintaining a welcoming environment in a social service organization dedicated to senior citizens and their families. This is a 35 hour per week, benefitted non-exempt position. Work hours are 8:30am to 4pm, Monday through Friday.
- Accurately register participants in Active Net database for courses, wellness services, memberships, workshops, lectures, and special events.
- Maintain relations, promotion, and scheduling wellness providers, wellness records, equipment loan closet, and flu immunization program, including off-site services at Senior Friendship Day Program.
- Assist in planning and implementing leisure and wellness lectures and workshops.
- Assist with the planning of lifelong learning courses.
- Assist with the marketing of lectures, workshops, wellness services, and classes including the creation of flyers and/or brochures.
- Appointment confirmation calls to wellness providers and participants.
- Processing of wellness providers and leisure program invoices.
- Set up, maintain, and generate necessary Active Net reports.
- Maintain classes, events, and wellness services in the database quarterly and as needed.
- Input data in Active Net and other databases.
- Calendaring and promotion of daily events.
- Delivery of customer support to seniors visiting Avenidas website.
- Provide and deliver information and referrals in person, via email, and by phone.
- Stay abreast of current information on all programs within agency.
- Set up and reconcile cash register using cash, credit cards, and checks.
- Maintain a friendly, welcoming environment for participants, co-workers, volunteers, and visitors.
- Coordination of weekly movies, including refreshments and clean-up
- Maintain lobby with reading materials and coffee.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
Education and experience:
Two years of college or equivalent experience in customer service and/or recreation planning. Experience working with seniors essential. Computer assisted program registration experience (Active Net database) and/or point of sale systems preferred. Experience with reception, hospitality, Parks & Rec, wellness &/or information agencies sought.
Skills and Abilities:
Outstanding representation of the agency and customer service excellence is job #1. Ability to maintain a friendly, positive front desk atmosphere at all times. Flexible team player with ability to multi-task with continual interruptions. Strong communication skills with both internal and external customers, wellness providers, teachers, and community programming partners. High level of accuracy with calendaring activities, scheduling appointments, and database entry. Ability to suggest creative programming for the benefit of a senior population. Microsoft Office, desktop publishing, and multi-phone line savvy. Previous work with older adult populations in social services, healthcare or recreational settings highly valued. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. Ability to lift 15 pounds. Fluency in other languages a plus.
35 hours/week at competitive salary; medical, dental, 403B grant offered; paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
The Avenidas Rose Kleiner Center
Substitute Program Aide - On Call
Location: Rose Kleiner Adult Day Health Center, Mountain View, CA
Reports to: Activity Coordinator, Rose Kleiner Center
Provide general supervision and assistance to participants in classes and activities at the Center. This is a part-time, hourly, non-exempt, non-benefited position. The schedule is on an “as-needed” basis. Center hours are M-F, 9am-2:30pm.
- Meet and greet participants and assist them upon arrival; help participants to tables, serve beverages/food, and clear tables (for morning social and lunch times).
- Set up rooms for the scheduled classes and activities.
- Supervise the participants in classes, activities, and social time to insure the participants’ safety, proper care, and comfort.
- Perform as a “spotter” for activities, including daily charting participation and level of interest.
- Provide personal care to the participants, including toileting as needed.
- Move tables and chairs as needed.
- Cooperate with staff and volunteers to implement daily activities plan.
- Stand for 95% of the workday while performing all of the above responsibilities.
- Spend work time, as required, learning about working with the elderly and the medical conditions of the participants.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and in-services.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- CNA strongly desired; CNA applicants need an active Nursing Aide Certification for California.
- Ability to work with seniors in a demonstrated friendly and caring manner.
- Ability to provide assistance in a culturally sensitive and respectful manner.
- Experience with and knowledge of older adult and dependent care issues.
- Desire to learn more about caring for this population.
- Initiative, common sense, friendly nature, and ability to work as a member of the team.
- Bilingual ability (Spanish or Mandarin) preferred, but not required
- This role requires substantive interaction with participants and a high level of tact and judgment in caring for higher-care participants.
If you desire a position where you have positive impact on the lives of others, we’re where you want to be! Interested parties shall contact the Center at email@example.com or (650) 289-5491. Position open until filled.
Speech Therapist (Contract)
Location: Avenidas Rose Kleiner Center, 270 Escuela Ave., Mountain View CA 94040
Reports to: Director of Health Services
General Position Description
Looking for a Speech Therapist (Licensed in California) to join our Adult Day Health Care Center as an Independent Contractor. The Speech Therapist is responsible for the assessment of referred participants that require speech and language services including: direct care to assess medical condition, functional capabilities, limitations and restrictions, and potential for rehabilitation. Establish and administer an Individual Care Plan with specific goals determined according to the participants’ capacity and tolerance under the direction of the Director of Health Services. This is a contracted, part-time, hourly, position during our hours of operation, Monday-Friday, 9:30am – 2:00pm (with some flexibility). Hours will vary based on participant caseload.
- Assessment and Person-Centered Care Planning for incoming and active participants that are referred for speech therapy assessment.
- Member of the Multidisciplinary Team and assist with carrying out team’s plan of care.
- Evaluate speech, language, communication, and swallowing disorders.
- Communicate with outside providers, to coordinate and clarify care needs.
- Recommend treatment plan and intervene as indicated for treatment options.
- Provide training and education to staff, family/caregivers, and/or participants.
- Work collaboratively with professionals from other disciplines.
- Document participant care services.
- Contribute to the welcoming environment, assisting participants as needed.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and in-services as requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work performed. They are not considered as an exhaustive list of all tasks performed. Avenidas reserves the right to change job descriptions, or work hours as required.
- Degree in Speech and Language Pathology from an accredited school.
- Current California state license as a Registered Speech and Language Pathologist
- Ability to develop a plan of care for each patient.
- Skilled in providing speech therapy services / interventions
- Ability to assess participant needs and to plan, evaluate and modify care to meet the goals of ST interventions.
Interested parties shall contact Director of Health Services at 650-289-5497 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.