Careers & Volunteering
The people who work at Avenidas share a sense of purpose and a passion for helping seniors. At both facilities, Avenidas in Palo Alto, and Avenidas Rose Kleiner Center in Mountain View, a strong sense of teamwork can be felt.
If you would like to make a difference in the lives of older adults, please review our current career opportunities and submit an application. Avenidas is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity.
Volunteers contribute as actively to Avenidas as paid staff members. We value their input, their productivity, and their time and energy. Interested in Volunteering? Please see our Volunteer Opportunities.
Current Career Opportunities
Avenidas is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity
Location: Avenidas, located at 450 Bryant St in downtown Palo Alto
Reports to: President and CEO
Avenidas is a non-profit organization that seeks to create a community that supports and celebrates older adults. Since 1969, Avenidas has provided a wide range of support options, information, and services that enable people to stay active, maintain their independence, help their aging parents, or care for a spouse or partner.
We are currently seeking a Director of Talent and Culture to join the Avenidas team. This position would manage all of Avenidas’ human resources, talent and culture functions, from strategy to day-to-day administration.
The ideal candidate would have previous human resources experience as well as strong communications and organizational skills. Additionally, they would be a results-driven, strategic thinker with an ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
This position will be part-time and based out of our Palo Alto office.
The Director of Talent and Culture will be a key driver and contributor to initiatives building and maintaining a positive, high-performing Avenidas culture and will be key to developing and executing on talent-related strategic initiatives.
In addition, the Director of Talent and Culture is responsible for the successful execution of HR services, policies, and programs across the organization, including in the following areas:
- Recruitment and staffing;
- Performance management and improvement systems;
- Organization development;
- Legal compliance with all employment-related requirements;
- Employee onboarding, development, and training;
- Policy development and documentation;
- Employee relations;
- Compensation and benefits administration; and
- Employee safety, welfare, wellness and health.
Key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Regularly assessing and reporting on employee morale with an attitude of continuous improvement to promote a high level of morale and motivation;
- Ensuring an organizational culture that is inclusive, representative of the populations served, and reflective of the organizational mission and values;
- Maintaining the work and organizational structures by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions;
- Establishing and executing a recruitment, selection and onboarding process that identifies and prepares staff to be successful at Avenidas, with a specific focus on developing a high-quality, diverse candidate pool;
- Ensuring the planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results through a performance management system;
- Maintaining employee benefits programs, including day-to-day benefits administration, communication with staff, and monitoring benefits trends in other organizations;
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements and informing leadership team members of compliance needs;
- Maintaining, preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures;
- Maintaining all human resource records; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ work experience, with at least 4 years’ experience in Human Resources for a nonprofit or similar organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytic skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse groups and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated leadership and team management skills.
- A commitment to the work of Avenidas and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization's impact.
Desirable Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Bi-lingual a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage applicants to submit their materials as soon as possible.
Avenidas reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
Location: Rose Kleiner Adult Day Health Center, Mountain View, CA
Reports to: Activity Coordinator
The substitute activity aide provides general supervision and assistance to participants in classes and activities of the Rose Kleiner Senior Day Health Center.
This is a part-time, hourly, non-exempt, non-benefited position. The schedule is on an "as-needed" basis.
Essential Job Functions
- Meet and greet participants and assist them upon arrival and at mealtimes.
- Help participants to tables, serve beverages and food, and clear tables.
- Set up rooms for the classes and the activities.
- Supervise the participants in classes and activities to ensure participants' safety, proper care, and comfort.
- Faciltiate and assist with the daily activities for the participants, e.g., during social hour or at any time that they need guidance.
- Provide personal care to the participants, including toileting, as needed.
- Move tables and chairs, as needed.
- Spend work time, as required, learning about working with the elderly and the medical conditions of the participants.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and in-services.
- Cooperate with volunteers to implement daily plan.
- Stand for 95% of the workday while performing all of the above responsibilities.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Fluent in Mandarin.
- Ability to work with seniors.
- Ability to demonstrate a friendly and caring manner toward the participants.
- Ability to take initiative in situations that require it.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to speak either Spanish and/or Mandarin is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with and knowledge of older adult and dependent care issues
- Desire to learn more about caring for this population.
- Conducts him/herself in a manner that is culturally sensitive and respectful to participants and staff.
If you are seeking a position where you can have a positive impact in the lives of others, we're where you want to be!